Stay well this Christmas
Winter can be seriously bad for our health but there are number of things you can do to keep you and your family well this winter.
Don’t delay in getting your flu jab. The vaccine takes around 10-14 days to be effective so getting vaccinated now will protect you in time for Christmas and into January when cases of flu are known to increase.
You are eligible to receive a free NHS flu jab from your GP if you:
- are 65 years of age or over
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- receive a carer’s allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
Here are some top tips about staying well this winter:
- At the first sign of a cough or cold, get immediate advice from your pharmacist before it gets more serious
- Speak to your pharmacist about medicines you should have in stock over winter
- Remember to pick up prescription medications before the Christmas holidays start as many GPs and pharmacies will close over the holidays
- It is important to keep warm in winter, so heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F), if you can, you might prefer your living room to be slightly warmer
- Don’t delay, if you are eligible for a free NHS vaccination get it now, it is free because you need it.
Please also look out for the more vulnerable people you know this winter in your community and support them where you can with the Stay Well This Winter advice and make use of all the local help that’s available – it could be a lifesaver.
You can watch the NHS Lewisham choir ‘Stay Well This Winter’ video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pzr02FikmU&t=25s
There is full advice and information to Stay Well This Winter at https://www.nhs.uk/staywell
If you need any information please get in touch
Public Health – Communications Officer
Customers and Communities
Somerset County Council
Taunton, TA1 4DY
Contact me on my blackberry phone or email: 07977 400171
Wednesdays and Fridays I work from home and I am contactable on blackberry/mobile